In Missouri, uninsured motorist coverage is mandatory, which means that your auto insurance policy must include coverage for uninsured motorists. If you are involved in an accident with an uninsured driver, you may be able to file an uninsured motorist claim with your own insurance company to cover the damages or take the at-fault driver to court.

5 Steps for Filing an Uninsured Motorist Claim in Missouri:1. Notify Your Insurance Company

When contacting your insurance company, be proactive in not only informing them about the accident but also providing a comprehensive account of the circumstances. Include details such as policy numbers, the date, time, and location of the incident, and any initial observations about injuries or damages. Establish clear communication channels to ensure a smooth claims process.

1. Collect Evidence

Gathering evidence is an art that goes beyond simple documentation. Consider creating a chronological visual narrative, incorporating photos and videos taken at the scene. These visuals should not only focus on damages but also on the broader context, such as traffic conditions and weather. Supplement witness statements with additional context, like any potential surveillance footage or relevant environmental factors.

2. Seek Medical Attention

Prioritize your well-being and that of your passengers by promptly seeking medical attention. Go beyond medical bills; maintain a detailed diary of your recovery, noting physical and emotional aspects. A thorough medical record is not just about expenses but about establishing the full impact of the accident on your health, ensuring a comprehensive understanding of your damages.

3. Contact A Personal Injury Attorney

Engage with a personal injury attorney transparently. Beyond the facts of the accident, share your expectations, concerns, and emotional experiences. A skilled attorney not only assesses the legal merits but considers the human elements, crafting a strategy that incorporates both legal and personal aspects. This holistic approach strengthens your position in pursuing rightful compensation.

4. Serve A Summons

Serving a summons is not a mere procedural step; it’s the commencement of a structured legal journey. Collaborate closely with your attorney to ensure the summons encapsulates the narrative of your case compellingly. It should succinctly articulate the damages, consequences of the other driver’s uninsured status, and your pursuit of fair compensation. The summons sets the stage for a dialogue seeking justice and financial restitution.

5. Negotiate A Settlement

Transitioning from legal initiation to negotiation is a critical step. Your attorney will engage in negotiations with the insurance company, leveraging the evidence and legal arguments gathered. The objective is to reach a fair settlement that covers medical expenses, property damage, lost wages, and emotional distress. Your attorney’s expertise in negotiation becomes pivotal in securing the compensation you rightfully deserve.

Who Do You Serve

So how do you know who to serve? Insurance is a highly regulated industry in Missouri, so in order for insurance companies to do business they must be registered with The Missouri Secretary of State. The Department of Insurance is overseen by the Secretary of State, and the government acts as a gatekeeper for the sale of insurance. This means that insurance companies must allow the director of insurance to accept service on their behalf.

How to file an uninsured motorist claim.

This is to protect Missouri citizens from out-of-state insurance companies.

For example: If a Missouri citizen is injured and a foreign insurance company extends coverage to that injury, all the Missouri citizen has to do is serve the Missouri Secretary of State Department of Insurance as opposed to tracking down the out-of-state insurance company to make a claim.

Key Takeaways: Filing an Uninsured Motorist Claim in Missouri

  1. Mandatory Coverage: Missouri mandates uninsured motorist coverage in auto insurance policies, requiring coverage for accidents involving uninsured drivers. This ensures that you have recourse even if the at-fault driver lacks insurance.
  2. Claim Filing Steps:
    • Notify Your Insurance Company: Proactively inform your insurer about the accident, providing comprehensive details.
    • Collect Evidence: Create a detailed visual narrative, including photos, videos, and contextual information to strengthen your case.
    • Seek Medical Attention: Prioritize health; maintain a comprehensive medical record beyond bills to understand the full impact of the accident.
    • Contact A Personal Injury Attorney: Engage transparently with an attorney, combining legal assessment with human elements for a robust case.
    • Serve A Summons: Initiating legal proceedings involves serving a compelling summons, setting the stage for justice and compensation.
  3. Who to Serve:
    • In Missouri, insurance companies must be registered with The Missouri Secretary of State. To make a claim, serve the Department of Insurance, overseen by the Secretary of State, ensuring protection for Missouri citizens from out-of-state insurers.
  4. Handling Uninsured or Underinsured Motorists:
    • When dealing with uninsured or underinsured motorists, the process involves a strategic approach, often necessitating legal assistance to navigate complexities and protect your rights.


Filing an uninsured motorist claim can be a complex process, so it is important to work with an experienced attorney who can help you navigate the process and ensure that your rights are protected.

We hope that the above post and the below video will answer any questions about how to file an uninsured motorist claim. If not please contact Cantor Injury Law today.

Contact us at (314) 628-9999 to schedule a free consultation with our team.